Friday, 20 January 2012

Paper Patchwork--Case Challenge 74--CSC74

As you know, I have been following the daily Clean & Simple card classes these past two weeks. In one video, Jennifer McGuire (click on her name to see the tutorial) showed how to make an effective chevron design with strips of patterned paper.  The challenge this week at Case Study, is to interpret this image: the shapes reminded me of leaves, and I decided to try out the paper-piecing technique.

I used to be a quilter (before beginning this cursed card-making habit!) so cutting and re-assembling strips was not too hard.  I cut an assortment of papers from a pack named "Wings" from Close to My Heart, into 1/2-inch strips. Then I adhered them in parallel rows to a piece of scrap paper. Then I turned that piece onto a 45-degree angle and cut 1/2-inch strips on the diagonal. You have to do it starting from each end of your strip if you want to be able to form the chevron shape. Some of the process is illustrated here:

I glued my chevrons onto a card base where they became the "garden" from which a single little flower emerges.  The sentiment is from an old stamp set called "Quilters Sampler Sentiments" which is still available from Papertrey Ink.

I then tried an old patchwork pattern called "Seminole" (I believe it originated with the Seminole Indians native to Florida). This time, after assembling my collection of strips, I cut them turned them 90-degrees and cut straight 1/2-inch strips. Then I turned them 45-degrees and staggered them to form a diagonal checker-board pattern. I added thin strips to the top and bottom of the patchwork strip, to finish the edge.
The finished card is here: a little pen-faux-stitching with a Sakura gel pen and some button brads completed the look.
I foresee some more quilt-block experimenting with paper! No fussing over seam allowances, no pressing required...just play!

9 comments:

  1. Awesome way to use the scraps in a Chevron design. Thanks for the how-tos for the diff. styles. These are great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, both of these are amazing, Caroline! I would try it if I could wrap my head around it. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. What awesome patterns you've created! I'm loving them!
    Thanks for joining us on CASE Study this week :)
    Hugs,
    Aimes
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Caroline! One's mind just starts whirling with the possibilities. Cool that you have the quilting stamps to go with :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, don't i have a kind sister to send me such great stamps! Love you, C

      Delete
    2. Kathy W and Kate S say hello from Milwaukee. We are cruising the INTERWEBZ

      Delete
  5. Wow, this looks like so much work, kudos to you! Brilliant work :) Thank you for joining us at CASE Study this week! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super card, love the technique! thanks for joining us at CASE Study this week! : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Caroline!
    Thanks for stopping by on my blog :)
    I wanted to tell you that I'm very happy with the ink and stamps I bought from your shop. Thank you for the extras you included in the envelope. You're so kind!
    And I like the chevron design, might use it on a layout one of these days...
    Kind regards!
    Corina

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!