Tuesday 20 March 2012

Summer Vacation Album, Part III


Pages four & five of the album "Welcome to the Cottage"
I just want to mention that some of the best photos taken this summer were done with people's cell-phones, not cameras! Technology just keeps getting better and better...

On this lay-out I wanted to illustrate that its okay to extend titles, embellishments, etc onto the photographs. If you use acid-free paper, your photos won't deteriorate over time. It can give you more design "space," and sometimes it is helpful to cover unwanted elements in the photograph. On the lower photograph, there was a lot of space on the left side of the image, and extending the title onto the photo didn't even really obscure the "view."
This close-up of part of the title shows the wonderful font included on the Art Philosophy Cricut cartridge from CTMH. Those little dots are cut out by the Cricut machine--all I had to do was choose the size and pop them up with foam tape. Further back you can see one of the chipboard shapes from the Elements pack. I used it for part of my title (AT or @) and added some twine for fun.


The journaling pockets are another CTMH product (item Z1461), as is the corrugated cardboard star (Milepost Shapes) and the copper brad (I thought it looked kind of nautical). I also used them to dot my "i's". The pockets add some interactive fun to the page--you have to slide out the tag to read the journalling. I carefully cut a slit into my page protector so the tag can be easily removed.




Here is the companion page, made using a pocket page.

Here, I wanted to draw attention to the fact that although the pockets are all oriented horizontally, you CAN put a vertical picture in there, you just need to plan where to bi-sect it. I used some more twine around this photo, so your eye sees it as a whole image.

These pocket pages were key to finishing the album in one weekend. I did not need to design every page--just slipped the photos into the pockets, matted on some coordinating paper, and voila! The pockets were also useful for holding journalling, souvenir items, etc.








Here is a close up of the embellishments on this journalling tag. Isn't that little wooden scalloped shell cute? It too is a CTMH item and comes in a set of six (item Z1693). You'll see more of them throughout the album. The sandcastle is another Cricut creation, and the chipboard shapes are part of the Dimensional Elements.

Okay, that's it for today's installment. More to come!

Oh, and it feels like summer here today--25C or 78F for my American friends, so appropriate to be looking at summery photos...

2 comments:

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!