Thursday 10 April 2014

Warm Hugs... for Colour Me...!


A little mid-week post to play along with my friends at Colour Me...! where the theme this week is "striking."
My crafty sister Morag sent me a link earlier this week to a tutorial by Dawn McVey, on the Make It Monday YouTube channel. She demonstrates a simple method for a no-sew quilted look.  I had tried something similar before with embossing folders, but I had not tried using a cutting plate to emboss layered paper.
So, a little time to play presented itself last night, and I tried it out.
Here's the first card, pretty much CASE'd from Dawn's examples:
She lined her blocks up with the diagonal on the card base. It makes for some funky angles, which didn't really line up too well with the diamond design on my cutting plate. I added a vellum tag, attached with some cross-stitch "kisses."
For the second card, I placed the patterned squares more "squarely" and used a random-pattern cutting plate, which looks more like free-motion quilting:
I gave the vellum tag a little more definition with some white faux stitching.
Which do you prefer?
Plenty of time to join in Colour Me...!'s challenge this week!
Happy crafting,
Caroline

Supplies:
Patterned paper: CTMH, featured colours are Crème Brulé, Lagoon and White Daisy; vellum.
Ink: Lagoon pigment ink; clear embossing powder; Signo Uniball white gel pen.
Fibres: CTMH waxy flax in Colonial White (retired)


12 comments:

  1. So awesome!!! I love what you did with these colors. OK ... also the liquid glass & embossing are perfect finishing touches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the second one best as it looks more like the quilting on a fabric quilt. Once again you have pointed me in the direction of a new technique to try. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Hansi. The second one is my favorite, too. Gorgeous colors!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful cards! Great paper choices and perfectly executed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet card and your quilt colors are so gorgeous! Sure to make anyone smile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy you gave it a go... I like the second one better too but beautiful combo of colours and patterns on both!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow... love your quilt! Thanks for playing along at Colour Me...! this week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bright and happy card! Love the use of the vellum for the sentiment. Thanks so much for joining us at Colour Me...! this week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry signed in under the wrong account at first :) Caroline this is just a wonderful representation of our colours this week!!! LOVE the quilted feel of these cards ;) Thanks so much for sharing with us this week at Colour Me...! We sure hope to see you around again soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. replica rolex watches, combining elegant style and cutting-edge technology, a variety of styles of replica rolex milgauss watches, the pointer walks between your exclusive taste style.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!