Good morning, crafty friends!
I am off to a slow start today...long and busy week, so I SLEPT IN for World-Card-Making Day (what a slacker!).
BUT I am very excited to share in the kick-off to this year's Caring Hearts Card Drive.
The holidays are all about family, kindness, tradition and joy. It can be a very lonely time for the elderly residents of nursing homes. The idea of the card drive is to brighten the holiday season through sharing our love of card-making. Participants make and sign holiday greeting cards, which are then delivered to nursing home residents. The idea is to spread some holiday cheer: a great cause, and a great use of our crafting hobby. Cards are collected and distributed throughout the United States and Canada; some dedicated card-makers from overseas also participate! Imagine the smile on the face of the person who opens your card...
I participated in the drive last year, making 128 cards (with the help of my "elves") and delivering 150 cards to two nursing residences here in Ottawa. The homes told me they could have used 500 cards! This year, I am proud to be one of two Canadian distributors for the Caring Hearts cards.
Here are the details on how to participate:
- The card drive will be going from October 4th-November 28, 2014. We need to receive your cards by November 28, 2014. Send them to one of the addresses below, depending on where you live.
- Please use a Christmas or Holiday Wishes theme. Anyone can send a card; you, your children, a church or religious group, scout troops, etc.
- All cards must include a message inside (this can be stamped or hand written).
- Please also sign your name and where you are from (this is part of the fun--cards from all over the country!).
- Please include an envelope for each card but please don't seal the envelope.
- Please stick to just cards (standard size A2 or 4-1/4" x 5-1/2").
- Don't use any pins, for safety reasons, but glitter, shimmer, bling, etc is completely fine.
- This is totally optional, but if you'd like to include $1 or $2 to help with shipping, it will be much appreciated. We cover the shipping cost ourselves, so any donation toward shipping helps tremendously.
You can mail the cards to:
Vera Yates Card Drive
109 N. Post Oak Lane Ste. 430 c/o Tina Schrof
Houston, TX 77024 P.O. Box 75
Springboro, Ohio 45066
Piney-fine Caroline Bredeson
Attn: Anita 7 Brown Street
P.O. Box 30 Ottawa, ON
Piney, MB K1S 1L9
Piney, MB K1S 1L9
R0A 1K0 Canada
- In each package, PLEASE include THIS SUBMISSION FORM. This helps us in keeping track for prizes! For each card you send, you will get a chance in the prize draw. So the more cards you send, the better your chances.
Here's a sample card to get you in the mood.
It's one my elves and I will be putting together, once we start the card-making workshops (watch my blog for more on that initiative; I'll be offering my own prize to the card-maker who sends me the most cards!).
So! Get out there and enjoy World Card-Making Day, and consider joining in this very worthwhile cause.
Very happy crafting,
All card-stock, patterned paper, stamps and ink, Close to My Heart.
Embossing folder: Sizzix.
Tree die: Papertrey Ink.
Liquid Pearls: Ranger Industries