Thursday 15 June 2017

Cross Canada Hop--Using up the 'Stash'

 
 Hello there, crafty friends!
It's time for another Cross Canada Blog Hop.
 
The challenge this month was to create artwork whilst "using up the stash." This idea really appealed to me--we are going to be moving house next winter, "down-sizing," and I'm going to have to purge some of my crafting supplies before then...

If you have just hopped onto my blog, you can start here as this is a circular hop, but if you want to follow us across Canada then please start at the beginning and visit Michelle at My Creations with Michelle. If you came from Nicky's blog then you are in the right place!

I decided to make a set of cards using some old bulk paper
 and Close To My Heart's "Wishes" card-making how-to book. 
This manual features a variety of cards in several different sizes. I used the instructions for one of the card-making workshops.
 This requires no the mental effort at all: just choose two identical sheets of patterned paper and three more solid coordinating card-stock sheets. The zip strip on the CTMH paper makes this easy; the ink colours are specified, so it was just a question of locating those colours amidst the stash of cardstock. 
The patterned paper was Kaleidoscope from a couple of years ago.
Details on how to cut up all the paper are given,
 along with diagrams and step-by-step instructions on how to assemble all those pieces of paper back together.
The card-making workshop on Page 68 makes 20 cards, two each of 10 designs. With CTMH's double-sided paper, you can choose which side to feature on any given card. I tried to limit myself to just three stamp sets for sentiments and decoration.
Further items needed include card bases for A2 size cards, ink pads, and some dies.
I also managed to use up a bunch of embellishment items, like rick-rack (from a looooong time ago), gems, sequins, etc. 
For each design, I made one card as indicated, then changed things up a bit for the second one, to demonstrate the versatility of these designs.
Let me know which is your favorite!
Card #1 is meant to be vertical, as is the card on the left. I used the stamp set C1605 Happy to Be Friends, which has many useful sentiments. The second version is landscape orientation, featuring the Happy Birthday die. I applied some yellow ink to white card stock  with a sponge dauber before cutting out the words, and inlaid them in the green layer.
Card #2  features the dotted zip-strip, some plain card stock strips, and the Hello and Thanks word dies. I cut the Thanks out of craft foam, for some added dimension. The die worked perfectly for cutting that thickness of material.
Card #3.  I added some glitter gems and old buttons. The Rustic Flowers stamp set, D1186 is the first CTMH stamp set I ever bought!
Card #4 demonstrates how you can use the same basic pieces to make completely different designs. I added a white square and purple mat to the second card, along with more of the zip-strip.
Card #5.  Adding some sponged colour behind the sentiment makes it pop, as well as tying it into the bokeh circles on the patterned paper base. I cut the small coral heart from two strips of shimmer trim stuck together onto printer paper. Do you remember those old corduroy brads?
Card #6. I LOVE the Hugs & Kisses die from Seasonal Expressions 1! It's so cheery:) Again, I added some shading to white cardstock before cutting out the die, and inlaid the pieces into the green strip, then added coordinating rick-rack. The sentiment comes from D1708 Sending Smiles available with the Cricut bundle.
Card #7 For this card, I cut down the card base to make a 4.25" square card, and embossed the pink panel with a vine embossing folder. The stitched ribbon is REALLY old, but still pretty. I stamped a cascade of flowers across the second card, using the Rustic Flowers stamps.
Card #8. Added a large stamped daisy and vellum vine die-cut, and some old glitter gems.
Card #9.  I was getting a little bored of the patterned paper, but remembered I had the 6x6 sample swatches from Kaleidoscope. I switched out a strip from another paper in the pack for the central panel, and added a die-cut heart. The left the centre of the heart blank, so I can add an appropriate sentiment later on.
 Card #10  has a cut-away front panel, with a cute slotted tab, to hold it closed. One of CTMH's velcro dots would work just as well. For the second card, I used some shimmer trim behind the Happy Birthday die this time, for added sparkle.
 
In the end, I only used up about 6 sheets of paper and some ancient embellishments... Not such a stash-buster! but I have some wonderful cards to use or give away, and I had a blast making them.
To purchase any of the items seen in our blog hop today, contact your local consultant to place an order.

Your next stop on the Cross Canada Hop is Sheena at Kanata Newf Papercrafts.
 
If you get lost along the way, head back to Michelle's blog, as she has the complete blog list.

We hope that you will take the time to leave comments on our posts, as we love to get feedback from our viewers....whether it was something that you really liked or some new technique that was used that you would like to learn how to do....by leaving us comments, we get to hear what you like, and what you want to see.
Thank you 😊
See you next month,
Caroline

7 comments:

  1. Wow! What a great job you did! Look at all those gorgeous cards!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! Love all the cards! Great Stash Buster!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What a wonderful assortment of fabulous cards--they are all lovely! I love how you used sponge daubers to give a two tone look to your die cuts. Thanks for inspiring me today.
    :) Marie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job at the stash-busting! Love using the how-to books for inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness....look at you! This is a brilliant use of your leftovers! So many fabulous cards.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't you love this How to book?? It is my Go-To when I am making cards and have a mental block! I love your paper choices for your cards. Super job!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!