Monday 26 November 2012

All that Glitters...

...is Fabulous!

The challenge at Heart2Heart  this week was to: 
Glitter it up! Add some sparkle to your card or other project using glitter, glitter glue, etc...

Its been awhile since I actually did any scrap-booking, so I decided to use photos taken this past summer, to create a lay-out telling the story of my husband's special birthday treat.
I mentioned earlier that there were a lot of RED-LETTER events in our family this year--my husband and I both turned a nice, round number, our oldest turned 21 and we celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary.
For his birthday, I decided to rent my DH a special car for a week. I priced out some luxury rentals and sadly, the bankbook just couldn't swing it. BUT, he had expressed an interest in test-driving a FIAT-500. So! Off to the airport we went, on the mystery errand. He had a lot of fun (and panic!) trying to figure out why exactly we were driving to the airport, and why he had to bring photo-ID...but was totally thrilled by that cute little convertible!

We had fun buzzing around with the roof down (a head-rest blew off at one point!) for a week and it was quite comfortable for four people.  Anyway, it was a hit, and generated quite a few fun photos.

For the assignment, I used glitter to hi-light my title: "50 or 500, you are FABULOUS!"
I used the retired workshop-on-the-go kit, "Cruisin" because it had great on-the-road retro images and lent itself to the black-&-white-&-red colour scheme.  The kit included the chipboard Dimensional Element Numbers (Z1681). I spread Liquid Glass (Z679)  onto the letters and sprinkled Martha Stewart glitter onto the wet glue. That looked okay, but the edges were still white, so I fixed that with an alcohol pen in Cranberry.

I did not have the corresponding Dimensional Element alphabet, so I cut letters from cranberry card-stock, using the Cricut "Art Philosophy" cartridge (Z1686), in the same size 
as the numbers (1.5"). I coated them with Liquid Glass and added more glitter.
 I have a new respect for that product; not only is it a really strong adhesive, that can add a nice glossy effect, it also adds wonderful dimension. Those flat letters became fabulously fat and glittery, and stayed that way, even after the glue dried!

Here's the complete lay-out:
I used a pattern from the new CTMH inspiration book, "Make It From Your Heart" Volume  1. (9035). A great value at $7.95! I tweaked  the pattern a bit to accommodate all the photos, including cutting one photo to span the mats, 
and hiding another in the journalling box, which can be opened by untying the Waxy-Flax (Z1089) bow. I thought that map paper was perfect for this lay-out!
A couple of other fun features of that paper pack were the Scrabble letter paper, which I cut apart and mounted with foam tape, for part of my title, and the bottle caps, which add a lot of height to the page, but a lot of style, too, methinks.
So, there you have some glittery goodness.!
Why not break out your stash of glitter glue, gel, Stickles, etc, and link up to Heart2Heart?
Here's all you need to know:
  1. Use mostly Close To My Heart products, though it doesn't have to be 100%.
  2. Create your GLITTERY project.
  3. Post your project to your blog or other online gallery.
  4. Come back here and directly link to your blog post, not your blog home page. 
  5. Mention Heart 2 Heart somewhere in your blog post indicating that you are playing along with us and link to our site. 
  6. Consider adding the H2H badge to your blog. We'd love to spread the word and see more crafters participating! 
  7. Finally, you have the whole month of November to join us on any of our November challenges and be eligible for our Top Ten!
Off to vacuum or leaf-blow all that glitter off my craft-table--it even got into my eyebrows!

Happy crafting,
Caroline

2 comments:

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!