Tuesday 5 June 2012

Retro Sketches #14--Soar

I have been working on a quilted wall-hanging I started NINE years ago for my husband...somehow since beginning paper-crafting, quilting has kind of fallen by the handicraft wayside...lots more time, space, $$ for materials involved. However, we just celebrated our wedding anniversary, and I promised to finish it this year. It is a labour of love.

So less room on the craft table for paper.

But I thought working up this sketch to submit to Retro Sketches challenge would not take up TOO much time this week, and I did do some paper patchwork for it...


I created the vertical border with 1/2" x 12" strips of paper (CTMH "Wings"). I glued them to a card-stock base, then cut the resulting 1+1/2" x 12" piece into 1/2" strips. I staggered these at a 45-degree angle, glueing them onto another card-stock strip, creating a lattice-look. (reference THIS posting for a useful picture).


I stamped the butterfly image (it and the "Soar" sentiment are from a retired CTMH stamp set) in black directly onto the card, to capture the antenna. I stamped it a second time onto cream-coloured card-stock, using the '"rock-and-roll technique, cut it out and layered it on top of the original image. I added some jewels to the butterfly body, and some honeydew and Caribbean twine from the Twinery.


Now back to the sweat-shop (sewing machine).

2 comments:

  1. What a great card, Caroline! That is such a clever take on the sketch and love that gorgeous butterfly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely card Liner and you really should mention WHICH wedding anniversary you just celebrated! 25 years is most impressive these days!

    xxx, Muggie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!