Tuesday 6 November 2012

Ack! I made a one-layer card! CMH Dare #17


I cannot do clean-and-simple cards. They always end up getting fussy, cluttered or with too many layers. However, I surprised myself today. All credit for this card idea is due to Jennifer McGuire, one of the creators of Online Classes' Holiday Card Workshop," and to Debby Hughes, the queen of CAS.
They both have posted cards using a similar curved landscape die, from Memory Box, and a sponged background.

I was determined to submit a card to this week's Color My Heart Color Dare. The challenge colours this week are: Smokey Plum, Sunset and Sweet Leaf. I tried stamping these triadic tones on white and they just didn't mesh, somehow. Then I thought of mixing a couple on a night sky, and the northern lights magically appeared! I first stamped some snowflakes on the white card base with Versa-mark ink, but they are very faint. I created a mask using the border die, and sponged the green shade on and away from it; the purple was sponged down from the top of the card. I added a few sparkle gems as the original stars didn't show up. All that remained was to use the orange colour for my sentiment. Simple, striking, and ALL DONE! I'm still in shock.

I will link this card up to Color My Heart Color Challenge Dare HERE:  this week's challenge is open until Thursday Nov. 8th, so you still have time to play along.

Happy crafting,
Caroline

Supplies Used:
Close to My Heart ink pads in Smokey Plum, Sunset and Sweet Leaf
Green/blue Sparkles (CTMH)
CTMH White Daisy card-stock
Memory Box "modern landscape border" die #98257
CTMH Stamp set "Say it with Style" D1283
And that's all, folks!

3 comments:

  1. Gorgeous background/sky on this card! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on making a very pretty card! I like that curvy landscape! Thanks for joining in at Color My Heart!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always admire sponged background cards... and the creators of the them. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!