Friday 10 May 2013

In The Pink! Color My Heart Dare #42

Color My Heart has a pretty pack of pinks for you to play with this week:
BLUSH
COTTON CANDY &
HOLLYHOCK

I've been meaning to try out a technique I first saw by Kristina Werner, for Simon Says Stamp. She heat-embossed an outline floral image on vellum, then coloured it from the back side, with alcohol markers.  Here's her card:
So soft and pretty! (I LOVE the strip of lace and the gold-embossed mesh, too.).
 I saw another example just last week, on Dawn Griffith's blog, where the image was embossed in white:

Another great look. I thought the CTMH Love Blooms (C1511) stamp set would work really well for this effect.  I embossed the image in VersaMark ink, and used White Daisy embossing powder to heat-set it. I didn't have alcohol markers in all the requisite colours, so I inked a couple of the flowers with shades of BLUSH and a couple with HOLLYHOCK and COTTON CANDY, using the older dye-based CTMH markers. I have to say, the alcohol ones work better for blending and they don't saturate the vellum so it doesn't wrinkle. The dye-based markers do lend more of a water-color look, however.
Here's my version:  I used the COTTON CANDY print from the Chantilly paper pack, and embossed some White Daisy card stock with a Sizzix folder.  Those yummy die-cut flourishes are by Paper Smooches. The sentiment is also from Paper Smooches, from their set Good Gab stamp set.  Pink Glitter Gems finish the inside of the flowers (Z1807).
The translucency of the vellum allows you to see through to the images and colours below.
Here's a look at the inside:
I had a bloom and a flourish left over, so decided to add them, too.

So, are you feeling "in the PINK?" Head on over to Color My Heart to see the lovely pink creations by the other Design Team members. You have until Thursday, May 16th to link up YOUR pink project. Please join us! We love to see your work ;)

Happy Crafting, 
Caroline

8 comments:

  1. I'm in love with this card. I happen to own that stamp set and just the other day I was thinking ... "what ever happened to vellum??". Thanks for keeping it alive. Now you have me wanting to try a new technique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so pretty! I love this technique.....saves lots of mess and smearing! And love the dry embossing on your card too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think yours is much better than the originals! So pretty! Great job on this one. My favorite parts are the pink pattern paper against the embossed white and the pink gems in the white embossed flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elegant design; superb execution. The interplay of form, texture and colour is very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! I like yours better. The watercolor effect gives it a vintage look. Once again, you have inspired me to try a new technique. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm blown away by the beauty of this card. The flower! What can I say about the amazing flowers?!! I'm speechless. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kristina Werner's card inspired me too! I did something similar but your's is gorgeous!

    xox, Muggie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!